You don’t die from a broken heart… you only wish you did. – Unknown
Oh! The sweetness of love… How it brings out the best in us. How it makes people feel free and young again. How it breathes new life to a man about to wither and die. The sweetness of falling in love……as fleeting as those feelings might be.
People are romantic by nature. We are passionate, fervent and soft-hearted. As humans, it is natural for us to seek companionship and feel strong emotion towards another person. Needless to say we are very much affectionate. And when we love, we love with all our hearts. We give everything to create ideal relationships. We pour out emotions as sincere as a child’s love.
We fall in love easily; profess undying admiration to our beloved other. But just as easy as it is to fall over our heads, it is also quite simple to fall out of love. To walk away from the seemingly ideal relationship and leave the other hurting and in grief. Our feelings change… despite our desire to keep it together we can’t help but feel the need to walk away and start anew. Indeed feelings are as unpredictable as a typical storm. It changes direction, hit with its strongest force and sometimes just leaves unexpectedly or leave you hanging, broken, empty and alone.
In our quest to find inspiration on the web that relates to the very pain of broken hearts, we have stumbled upon great quotes that reflect the pain and sorrow of a broken heart. These quotes mirror the hurt, the grief and mounting bitterness that a person feels when he fell in love and lost that love. These reflect the agony when a precious feeling of falling in love gets a falling out.
We had our fair share of failed relationships and broken hearts. Like anyone else, we fell in love at one point and got hurt. We have hurt someone we love despite our best intention. Like each of us, we carry the scars of a broken heart, of empty feelings and broken promises.
So take a look at the best broken heart quotes we were able to gather and cheers to those who have loved and lost but still have the courage to love again despite the pain.
1. Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option – Mark Twain
2. The emotion that can break your heart is sometimes the very one that heals – Nicholas Sparks
3. There are many persons ready to do what is right because in their hearts they know it is right. But they hesitate, waiting for the other fellow to make the make the first move – and he, in turn, waits for you. – Marian Anderson
4. You will never know true happiness until you have truly loved, and you will never understand what pain really is until you have lost it. – Anonymous
5. Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn’t it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. – Neil Gaiman
6. Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart. – Washington Irving
7. There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief… and unspeakable love. – Washington Irving
8. He who has never experienced hurt, cannot experience true love. – Tristan J. Loo
9. There were many ways of breaking a heart. Stories were full of hearts being broken by love, but what really broke a heart was taking away its dream-whatever that dream might be. – Pearl Buck
10. There are things that we don’t want to happen but have to accept, things we don’t want to know but have to learn, and people we can’t live without but have to let go. – Author Unknown
11. Sometimes when one person is missing the whole world seems depopulated. – Lamartine
12. I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken — and I’d rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as I lived. – Margaret Mitchell
13. Breaking up. It happens kind of suddenly. One minute, you’re holding hands walking down the street, and the next minute, you’re lying on the floor crying and all the good CDs are missing. – Kennedy Kasares
14. It is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all. – Alfred Lord Tennyson
15. Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don’t know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of withering, of tarnishing. – Anais Nin
16. To fall in love is awfully simple, but to fall out of love is simply awful. – Bess Myerson
17. There is a time for departure even when there’s no certain place to go. – Tennessee Williams
18. Some people come into our lives and leave footprints on our hearts and we are never ever the same. – Flavia Weedn
19. It is a curious sensation: the sort of pain that goes mercifully beyond our powers of feeling. When your heart is broken, your boats are burned: nothing matters any more. It is the end of happiness and the beginning of peace. – George Bernard Shaw
20. We all have our ‘good old days’ tucked away inside our hearts, and we return to them in daydreams like cats to favorite armchairs. – Brian Carter